Friday, November 10, 2006

I've lost an hour of my life and I want it back!

Well, for my foray into that wild and wooly world of MMORPG gaming, I made the mistake of playing Tibia. I should have known I was in for trouble considering the game shares a name with part of the human anatomy… oh well. Tibia is pretty much your run of the mill MMORPG, set in a fantasy/medieval locale. Evidently, eventually you can encounter fearsome beasts and monsters, but after an hour of play, I was still stuck in the newbie hometown; though not for a lack of trying.

All I managed to accomplish was killing a rabbit (probably someone’s pet) and a sheep (also a likely pet). Talk about fun. Oh yeah, I also blundered into some sort of market square, where other players were selling items they had won in their quests. Neat, except that the screen got so crowded with text, player names, and sales pitches that it became nigh impossible to navigate.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure Tibia, and by extension most other MMORPGs are fun, so long as you either stick with them, or manage to get in on the ground floor. I just don’t think that they’re really suited for the casual gamer (like me).

It's interesting to note that, at least according to Wikipedia, Tibia is supposed to be one of the oldest and most popular MMORPGs out there... go figure...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home